- 1703-1920: Pre-Bliss Period
- 1920-1950: The Herb Garden
- 1950-1960: Garden Renovations
- 1961-2012: The Modern Garden
- Garden Details
- Interactive Exhibits
The Arbor Terrace, or Terrace “E”, as it was originally referred to in Farrand’s early drawings, is one of seven gardens that transition from the Main house to Lover’s Lane Pool within the Southeastern quadrant of the property. While the terrace gardens originally comprised six separate spaces, today the terraces are home to the Green Garden, Star Garden, Beech Terrace, Urn Terrace, Rose Garden, Fountain Terrace and the Arbor Terrace. On axis with the Orangery, these formal gardens descend over 30 feet and unfold as a progression of separate rooms, characteristic of Dumbarton Oaks’ overall design.
The Arbor Terrace has gone through substantial changes over the course of the last 90 years, both in design and implementation. This exhibit chart’s the Arbor Terrace’s evolution from barnyard to its current form, as well as examines in greater depth three garden details: the book box, the sun dial, and the Cao-Parrot ‘Cloud Terrace’ installation. Please consider this exhibit as a companion to the Dumbarton Oaks Historical timeline